Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Christian Brainfarts

We all know what a brainfart is, right? It's when we have a thought or make a choice that later reveals our stupidity. Well, being in the ministry for several years, I've noticed some brainfarts by Church people that have been...well, rather stinky. Here's one. Focusing on ourselves every Sunday and not giving a care in the world to the guest. I notice that most of us come to church Sunday after Sunday thinking..."what will I get?"..."will the sermon speak to me?"..."will they sing my song?"..."will I get my needs met?" We easily feast our eyes on ourselves and take them off of the guest. It's easy to do and we all do it. Many of us do it often and most of us probably do it every weekend. However, when do we see a change? The Sunday we show up with someone that 'we' invited. That particular Sunday, everything changes. We call the Pastor to make sure he's preaching on something that will be relevant to the guest, we ask the worship leader about the songlist to make sure our guest will enjoy it, we get to church on time so we will be ready to make our guest comfortable, we check with the nursery and make sure someone will be available when our guest drops off their children, etc. The conditions have to be perfect...everything must be done with excellence...because WE have brought a guest on this Sunday. What happens after that? Well, if they are not planning to come back next Sunday...it's back to normal. Show up late, who cares about the nursery?...and the songs better be something I like and the sermon better speak to me as a believer. That's an official Christian Brainfart. We should treat every Sunday as if we have personally invited someone to Church and they are in attendance. Every Sunday should be done with excellence from the parking lot all the way to the Stage. When I have someone coming to church with me there's no way in Hades I'm missing that service, but when I don't?...don't look for me, because if I show up...I'll be late and if I don't show up...I've got something better to do. That's a brainfart and it sure does stink!

1 comment:

Misty said...

You lost me at brainfart.
Kidding.
You forgot one though [when bringing guest]
5 Minutes before the service starts, "I can't do nursery. My fifth cousin twice removed come with me today to visit."