Thursday, November 6, 2008

Christian Brainfarts #2

Brainfart..."to indicate a regrettable and poorly thought out choice of action." We all have brainfarts that squeak out from time to time...especially in the church. I've posted one already...here's another:

Skipping Church. Read this verse and come back. Hebrews speaks of it, and a quick study in the 1st few chapters of Acts will reveal the importance of attending church. Those guys were crazy in love with going to church...they met 'everyday' in the temple courts and then met in their homes on top of that. Most of us have no problem believing we should be at church...it's the actual showing up that causes problems. We could probably poll Bible Believing People in just about any area of the world and they would say that attendance at church is important. However, I don't think our actions always back that up. Allow me to explain. Think of other areas in your life that demand your attention and attendance. Weekly TV shows, ballgames for your children, concerts with your favorite band, birthday parties for your family...the list goes on and on. Some of these events we hold up high and some we are not that concerned about. How do we know which ones are held high? Attendance. It's simple, if you're always there, you obviously believe in it, if you're a no-show...well, it's not really a big deal. Give me a headache and I'll still be at the ballgame, an upset stomach during a much desired movie...i'll fight thru it, just flat our tired from a long week...won't even notice it at the concert. However, when Sunday rolls around it all changes. So, the next time someone skips church and you hear..."I had a headache"..."I had too much goin' on"..."I wanted to but my stomach just wasn't right"..."I hate to miss but it was just crazy hectic around our house and we just couldn't get there in time"...my advice is to strike a match because somebody just ripped a big brainfart and it stinks!

No comments: