Friday, August 10, 2007

Hearing from God

A man was irritated by his wife’s refusal to admit her hearing problem. Speaking with his doctor one day he asked, “How can I get my wife to admit that she needs a hearing aid?”“I’ll tell you what you need to do,” his doctor replied. When you get home peek your head through the door and ask, “Honey, what’s for dinner?” “If she doesn’t answer, go into the living room and say, “Honey, what’s for dinner,”Then walk into the kitchen and ask, “Honey, what’s for dinner?” “If she still doesn’t answer walk right up behind her and say, “Honey, what’s for dinner? Then you will be able to convince her that she needs a hearing aid.“Great! I think that will work.”So he repeats the question as he goes through the house. No answer any of the times. Then he walked right up behind his wife and spoke directly into her ear. “Honey, what’s for dinner?”She turned around in a huff and resolutely replied, “For the fourth time, I said WE WERE HAVING SPAGHETTI!!!”
One of the main problems Christians have in their realtionship with Christ is hearing from Him. Many times we say, "I just can't hear God speaking to me." It could be that we are the ones not listening. I think most of us spend too much time telling God what we want, rather than listening to what He tells us. My advice is, if you want to hear from God, turn down all the other noise in your life.