Thursday, January 17, 2008

Live Right...or Die!

Each year I resolve to read thru the Bible. My goal is to read a different version each year. This year I am reading thru the KJV. So, if I say something like..."art thou goeth to lunch today? Peradventure I shall goeth with you." You'll know why I'm talking like that. Anyway, I was reading the story of Joseph the other day and something strange jumped out at me. In the middle of the Joseph story (chapter 38) it breaks off to give us some info. on his brother Judah. Judah marries a Canaanite woman and she gives birth to 3 sons. Er, Onan & Shelah. Weird names huh? Er was wicked in the sight of the Lord, so guess what God did? He slew him...killed him. Judah wanted Onan to get his brother Er's wife pregnant but Onan didn't want to. Onan had relations with her but the Bible says, "he spilled it on the ground." It's in the Bible, I'm not making this up. So what happened to Onan? God was displeased with him so he slew him...yeah, he killed him. You can fool some people some of the time but you can never fool God. If you're displeasing God...look out! How did God kill them? I don't know, but this is a stern warning to please God. We worry so much about pleasing man, but God is the one we should worry about. Wow, I hope you're living right!

No comments: