Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Honorable Mention

Sunday, I spoke on my favorite passage of scripture…the story of Gideon (Judges 6-8). Since I could only pick one, I thought I would list a few honorable mentions on the blog. This is one of my favorite verses.
I love to play basketball. I quit playing league ball a few years ago (age and my children’s activities) for more important things. However, a few months ago I was invited to play some full court bball with some younger guys that get together on Sunday/Wednesday nights. After the 1st night, I was hooked again. I started playing every Sunday night & a few Wednesday nights after cell group. I was having fun, getting in good shape, getting the feel for the game back and it happened…reality kicked in. The guys I’ve been playing with are 18 to 25 years old and I’m…well…not in that range. I started having major pain in my right foot. I tried to stretch it out…tough it out…ice it out…nothing seemed to work. After an examination by Barb Weese (works for a podiatrist) a couple months ago, I found out I have this. Yeah, it’s weird but I’ve discovered several people battle with the same thing. I wear supports in my shoes and have quit playing ball. I’m hoping I can rehab it back to normal so I can play ball again and injure something else. It will happen…just wait. All that to say this…I need my physical strength renewed, but for a guy who’s not in the 18 to 25 category…it’s a stretch. My body can’t do or take what it could years ago. The good news, my spiritual body can recover quickly and get back to 100%. It’s a promise from God. No matter how hurt I may become spiritually, if I will just keep my hope in Him I will not only recover, but I will soar. It’s the promise of Isaiah 40:31 and one you can count on.

No comments: