Friday, June 22, 2007

Mark 11:35

The title of this entry is a verse...a verse I have taped to my computer and the dashboard of my vehicle. In our cell group we have been assigned a "spiritual partner" for the next 30 days. With our partners, we each made a commitment for the next month and mine was sticking verses in different places so I can meditate on them. Sound a little wierd? Maybe, but as I''ve focused on Mark 11:35 something is there I can't get past. Here is the verse: "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." "Jesus got up" is the amazing part of this verse. How early was it? It was still dark so that's enough information for me. You've been in this situation many times...you try to get up for your "quiet time" but the warm cozy covers are too hard to resist. You want to call someone and apologize for something you've done or said about them but the comfort of your current position won't allow you to do it. You want to tithe but your checkbook is comfortably surviving so you back out at the last minute. Jesus got up. That's the 1st step, the hardest step. God's not about making us comfortable, He's about making us more like Jesus and if you're like me that's not a comfortable position. The more I focus on this verse, the more I want this to be said of my life. Michael got up. However, I realize that most of the time it says, "Michael stayed where he was at." How bout' you?