Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Driving lessons



This picture is our youngest daughter Madison sitting in my lap and driving. By looking at my Mickie Souvenir Key chain you would think we're going about 75 miles per hour down the interstate and if you know Madison very well that would be highly probable. Glad to say we were not going that fast, as you can tell by the speedometer. Plus, we were on County Road 703, not the interstate. 703 is the road we live on and it's gravel. We live almost one mile down 703 so the big thing with the girls is sitting in Dad's lap and driving. It all started when they saw one of their friends from school doing the same thing. When they sit in my lap and drive, all they have to do is steer...maybe blow the horn occasionally. I've actually let them work the gas and brakes some but Maddie's still afraid of that...which is cool with me. When Maddie and Micah sit in my lap and drive they are not in full control of the vehicle. I'm still there ready to grab the wheel, hit the brakes...whatever needs to be done. And for now it's a good thing since they are not capable of driving on their own...and not legal. To me, this is a picture of baby Christians. We get saved, prop up in the pastor's lap and just do what we want to do...play with the radio...work the wipers or honk the horn. For some reason we are afraid to grab the wheel of life and hit the gas. Don't get me wrong, it's OK to sit in someones lap for a season, but for most, that season is way behind us. It's time for us to stop depending on someone to grow us and feed us and have the courage to trust God and take the wheel of our life and follow Him. Someday, my girls will be legal and ready to take the wheel...I may not...but they will...and when they do lookout. I hope we have good insurance. Even if they have a fender bender or two, that's part of life. We all take wrong turns every now and then but the courageous thing to do is get back behind the wheel and try again. Of course, I'm talking spiritually here and not about the girls...if they have a wreck it's back to Daddy's lap...even if they are 25 yrs. old. See you guys on the road!

No comments: