Tuesday, September 16, 2008

No Power

Was it ironic that a lot of people lost power early Sunday morning...the day we kick-off a series called, "Excuses"??? I think not! I'm telling you, when I got up at 6:00 the wind was humming big time at our house. I thought I would walk outside to major destruction and hundreds of fallen tree limbs...but I didn't. We have a few limbs but nothing out of the ordinary for us. The lights were blinking on and off when I got up so I lit a few candles in the bathroom and it was excellent planning on my part. About halfway thru my shower the lights went out. It turned out to be pretty relaxing...I may do that more often in the future. Anyway, I left the house and went to church about 7:05. When I left, the power was on. Didn't really matter though, because it was daylight outside, so there wouldn't be total darkness. And, we had plenty of hot water available in the tank. After the girls got to church, I asked Maddie if the power was off at the house. She said it was. I asked her if it was off all morning and she said, "yeah." Then she went on to say..."I couldn't get it to do anything...it just said...searching for signal." Mmmmh...I thought. I had to clarify to Maddie what power is. It's not just the TV. Lights, appliances, etc. Our Direct TV Satellite had been moved by the 60 mph winds and it couldn't find the signal, therefore the TV wouldn't work...which was apparently Maddie's biggest concern. And I'm sure she wasn't missing the smile of Joel Osteen. Anyway, I thought it was funny.
On another note, night 2 of tryouts was last night. I have 15 4th graders trying out, 13 5th graders and 23 6th graders. 23? I was like...where are all these girls coming from? One girl left sick 15 minutes into the 1st tryout and another left sick halfway thru last night but other than that they've done well. We have tryouts Thursday and next Monday will be the last. I'll probably post the girls that make the team on Wednesday of next week at the school, so, there may be some sad faces at Brookland next week. Remember, back in the day...going to school and searching for your name to see if you made the team? If you didn't make the team you hated the coach and told your Mom and Dad and they hated the coach. Well, I'm that guy next week.

1 comment:

Misty said...

My stomach gets nervous just thinking of those poor girls searching and searching and searching and not finding their name.