Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 5:1 says when Jesus "saw the crowds" he climbed up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came up to him. I'm not sure if that was the 12 or the 12 and a few others...but some of Jesus closest followers received what is known today as the "Sermon on the Mount." Jesus touched on a lot of different topics that day. One of those topics was having love for enemies. Jesus mentions it here. Something interesting about this passage is that Jesus never says..."if you have enemies" but He simply assumes that we will have enemies. And why not? Jesus lived a perfect life and He had enemies...even one within his own recruited group. If you're like me...having enemies is not a good feeling. Especially, when there's not really anything you can do to avoid it. I'm feeling that today. I posted the list of the girls that made the 4th, 5th & 6th grade basketball teams at Brookland at 7:40 this morning. There was actually about 5 or 6 waiting in the hallway for me to post it...and a couple that were waiting didn't make the cut. I went in the office and gave it to the Secretary and asked her if she could post it on the billboard today. As I was walking out the door she was posting it...I felt weird...didn't want to look back. I got in my car and drove away. Today, I made some friends...today, I made some enemies.

No comments: